A chronic condition like fibromyalgia adversely affects your quality of life. It has no cure and carries high healthcare costs.
But don’t lose heart.
How effective is CBD for fibromyalgia?
Let’s find out.
Also Check Out
- CBD for Fibromyalgia: What’s the Deal?
- A Quick Look at Recent CBD Fibromyalgia Studies
- How to Use CBD for Fibromyalgia
- 5 Best CBD Products for Fibromyalgia
- CBD Fibromyalgia: 4 Handy Tips
- CBD Fibromyalgia: 5 Important FAQs
Traditional fibromyalgia (FM) treatment involves pain medication, opioids, and prescription medications like antidepressants.
But some of these treatment options are high-inducing and addictive.
The good news?
Some pain research studies have found CBD as an effective alternative for managing FM symptoms with fewer side effects.
Wondering how CBD works?
CBD (cannabidiol) is a cannabis plant compound (cannabinoid) known for its anti-inflammatory and pain relief properties.
It’s thought to activate our biological and neurological receptors, like the serotonin and endocannabinoid receptors — which play an important role in regulating fibromyalgia pain and other symptoms.
Let’s see how.
A. Serotonin Receptors
Studies have shown CBD interacts with the serotonin receptors or 5-HT receptors, which may help:
- Improve sleep and mood
- Provide relief from migraines
- Ease mental health issues like anxiety and depression
This does NOT mean CBD boosts serotonin levels, but the cannabinoid can positively affect how the brain reacts to existing serotonin in your system.
B. Endocannabinoid Receptors
The endocannabinoid system (ECS) is your body’s complex cell signalling network.
It contains endocannabinoids (body molecules), enzymes, and receptors that regulate several bodily functions and emotions — helping you feel centred and balanced.
How does this relate to CBD and fibromyalgia?
If an endocannabinoid deficiency happens due to stress or toxins, your pain threshold lowers.
That’s where CBD can help.
CBD interacts with the receptors in the endocannabinoid system (CB1 receptor and CB2 receptor.) These interactions can slow the breakdown of endocannabinoids, keeping them in your body for longer.
It can help:
- Reduce joint pain and inflammation
- Maintain body temperature
- Provide relief from irritable bowel syndrome
- Create a healthy balance between mind and body
- Treat epilepsy
But we’re not done yet.
More clinical studies validate the benefits of CBD, reinforcing the positive effect of CBD in managing fibromyalgia symptoms like:
- Neuropathic pain
- Nerve pain
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Mental health issues
|Important: Hemp-derived CBD products with 0.0% THC are Legal in the UK.|
A Michigan Medicine study found many people prefer CBD over pain medication, antidepressants, and opioids to manage fibromyalgia symptoms like:
- Chronic pain
Here’s what other research says:
- CBD for pain management: In 1998, researchers found endocannabinoid deficiency in the human body could lead to conditions like fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome, and arthritis pain.
As a result, researchers believe CBD and other cannabis compounds may help manage chronic pain disorders like fibromyalgia.
In a related article published in 2020, researchers found CBD is a potential remedy for patients with Crohn’s, multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury, and limb amputation.
- CBD for depression: In a 2022 study, 86% (out of 90 participants) said CBD use helped overcome negative thoughts and feelings.
- CBD for anxiety and sleep disorders: In 2019, approximately 48 participants reported better sleep and less anxiety within the first month of using CBD.
To sum up:
CBD can ease widespread pain like nerve pain, neuropathic pain, and other fibromyalgia symptoms like anxiety and depression.
However, results may vary from fibromyalgia patient to patient.
If you’re a fibromyalgia sufferer who wants to use CBD, we recommend you give it anywhere between two weeks to six months before seeing any benefits.
|Important: CBD can’t cure FM, but may help reduce FM symptoms. That said, no medical body has approved CBD use for fibromyalgia.|
Want to use CBD for fibromyalgia symptoms?
Choose a CBD delivery method and dosage that works for you.
A. Delivery Methods
- 1. Rub a topical CBD product over painful areas: There’s nothing like a soothing massage for pain relief. And when combined with CBD balm or CBD massage oil, the benefits are twice as good.
Apply CBD massage oil or CBD balm on your fingertips and massage it into your skin using gentle circular motions.
You should see the effects of CBD in around 15 minutes to an hour.
- 2. Take CBD oil or tinctures sublingually for quick absorption: CBD oil, tinctures, or sprays can take as little as 15-30 minutes to show results.
Apply a few drops of CBD oil (or tincture) under your tongue (sublingually). Hold it for 30-50 seconds before swallowing.
If you’re using a CBD spray, take it sublingually or apply one spritz to the inside of each cheek.
- 3. Try CBD edibles for convenient overall relief: Don’t like the taste of CBD oil? Try CBD capsules or a CBD gummy.
CBD edibles are easy to carry around, making them a convenient way to get overall relief.
But since CBD edibles need to pass through the digestive system, it takes longer to show results (around 1.5-4 hours).
- 4. Get instant relief with CBD inhalation: Need quicker relief from the unbearable pain? Go for CBD vapes or CBD smoke — you may feel pain relief in as little as 30 seconds.
To use CBD vapes, attach the CBD oil cartridge to your vape pen and follow the instructions to inhale a puff.
Wondering how much CBD you should take for a chronic pain condition like fibromyalgia?
Here’s the deal:
Like any other medicine or supplement, there isn’t a ‘one-size-fits-all’ dose.
The appropriate CBD dosage depends on:
- Body weight, and
- Severity of the illness
- Type of CBD product
Start with 20-50mg/day and work your way up, depending on the effects.
CBD products tested for purity, safety, and effectiveness by third-party labs are best for the treatment of fibromyalgia symptoms.
Here are five top-quality, THC-free CBD products:
1. Infinity CBD Calm Stick (£24.99)
Looking for express action on those sore muscles?
You’ll love the Infinity CBD Calm Stick — a fast-acting CBD topical for maximum pain relief.
It’s one of the highest-strength CBD products and comes in lavender and peppermint fragrances.
Infinity CBD works closely with fibromyalgia patients and support groups, and they have specifically created a range of CBD products for managing fibromyalgia pain.
2. Love Hemp 1200mg Peppermint CBD Spray (£49.99)
Pain and anxiety keeping you up all night?
This oral CBD spray could be your go-to solution for sound sleep as a fibromyalgia patient.
It offers a convenient way to take your desired CBD dosage, comes in various flavours, and can help promote better sleep quality. A complete win-win!
3. CERIOUS Muscle Relief Balm (£43)
Say goodbye to pain and inflammation with this soothing muscle relief balm from CERIOUS.
It has a non-greasy, mildly scented, and powder finish formula, so you can use this product during the day or night.
4. Provacan CBD Bath Salts (£17.99)
Had an overwhelming day?
Drain out your worries with this CBD bath salt from Provacan.
Packed with top-quality CBD derived from EU-cultivated hemp, Dead Sea and Himalayan salts, and coconut oil, it’ll leave you revelling in your new-found state of calm.
5. Vitality CBD 1200mg Natural Drops (£19.99)
Reclaim your physical and psychological well-being with these Vitality CBD drops.
If you prefer a well-balanced authentic hemp flavour and a thicker consistency, this CBD product could be the one for you.
It contains pure CBD extract and is known for promoting a long-lasting holistic sense of wellness.
|Read more: Explore 4 Top-Quality CBD Supplements For Treating Migraines.|
Try our four tips to maximise CBD effects for treating FM symptoms:
1. Talk to Your Doctor about CBD Use
CBD is not dangerous, addictive, or illegal.
But we recommend seeking medical advice from a healthcare professional to find relief and the best products for your needs.
2. Give CBD Time to See the Effects
As with most plant-based medicinal products, give CBD time before determining whether it works for you.
So what should you do?
Note the dosage and type of CBD, and give it two weeks to six months before switching to a different CBD product.
3. Use High-Quality CBD Products
We can’t stress this enough:
Always choose high-quality, THC-free CBD products.
How do you buy high-quality products?
Buy your CBD products ONLY from reputed sellers like GreenBox —we guarantee every product’s quality, safety, and purity.
4. Pair CBD with Healthy Fat to Aid Digestion
Did you know CBD is fat-soluble?
It needs to bind to a fat molecule for our bodies to digest and absorb it properly.
Bottom line: Combine CBD oral forms with healthy fat, like extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil, to enhance digestion.
Still have some niggling questions?
Some common CBD fibromyalgia questions and answers include:
1. What Could Trigger Fibromyalgia Symptoms?
Here are some reasons that may trigger the symptoms of fibromyalgia:
- Poor sleep
- Existing medical conditions or other illnesses and infections like pneumonia, flu, Epstein-Barr virus
- A lack of physical activity
- Stressors like premature birth, anxiety, depression, or PTSD
2. Can I Substitute CBD for Opioids to Treat Fibromyalgia?
Yes, CBD can provide a non-addictive and less harmful remedy to managing fibromyalgia pain.
3. What are the Side Effects of CBD?
While CBD is generally safe, you may experience side effects at high doses (more than 100mg/day).
These may include:
- Gastrointestinal issues
- Dry mouth
- Mood changes
4. What Other Alternative Therapies Can You Use for Fibromyalgia?
Besides CBD, here are six other alternative therapies fibromyalgia patients could try:
- Cognitive-behavioural therapy
- Warm-water exercise
- Physical therapy
- Dietary changes
- Mindfulness techniques
5. What is the Difference Between Medical Marijuana and CBD?
Medical marijuana (or medical cannabis) contains higher concentrations of THC.
It’s not available to the general public — only a doctor can prescribe medical cannabis as part of a treatment.
In contrast, CBD products are available to the general public, and legal products contain 0.0% THC.
Try CBD for Fibromyalgia Relief
As a fibromyalgia sufferer, you deal with irritable bowel syndrome, widespread pain, and mental health problems.
So why not try CBD for these fibromyalgia symptoms?
The right CBD products can have a positive effect in managing fibromyalgia symptoms better.
Head to GreenBox to browse high-quality CBD creams, oils, CBD gummies, and CBD capsules, and kickstart your CBD fibromyalgia therapy today.