Many ADHD patients use CBD to ease anxiety disorders, control restlessness, and improve focus.
But is it safe to use CBD for ADHD?
More importantly, does science approve CBD as an alternative treatment?
Let’s find out.
Also Check Out
- Can I Use CBD for ADHD?
- What Studies Say About CBD for ADHD
- How to Use CBD for ADHD?
- 4 FAQs on CBD & ADHD
You could use CBD for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) as a self-medication option.
There’s NO solid research to prove CBD medication cures ADHD.
How can CBD ease ADHD symptoms?
- CBD affects your endocannabinoid system, which regulates mood, energy, sleep, pain, and other bodily functions.The CBD compound stimulates the cannabinoid receptors in your endocannabinoid system, reducing hyperactivity, improving focus, etc.
- Animal studies suggest CBD may interact with serotonin receptors for anti-depression and anti-anxiety effects.
Here’s a snapshot of some related studies:
- A clinical trial by Kings College London reported a minor reduction in ADHD symptoms with no impact on cognitive function in patients treated with Sativex — a medication containing CBD and THC cannabinoids.
- Another clinical trial examined cannabis use for ADHD. It found ADHD sufferers didn’t report symptoms of hyperactivity and impulsivity while using cannabis products as self-care medication.
- A 2019 review found CBD to be an effective complementary treatment for traditional ADHD medication. It helped ease anxiety in patients with social anxiety disorder and PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.)
We need more large-scale human trials to determine if CBD is a viable treatment option for ADHD.
However, adult ADHD patients have NOT written off CBD just yet.
Many continue to use it to treat ADHD symptoms and improve mental health.
|Read More: Discover How Long Does CBD Oil Take to Work and the factors influencing it.|
So if you’re planning to use CBD for ADHD, you may be wondering…
Two questions you may have about consuming CBD for ADHD-related health conditions are:
1. Which CBD Product Should You Use for ADHD?
If you plan to take CBD for symptoms of ADHD like anxiety or hyperactivity, you can use:
- CBD capsules: Love Hemp 300mg CBD Capsules (£14.99) — vegan, THC-free capsules to kickstart your CBD journey.
- Cannabidiol oil: Vitality CBD 1200mg Calm Support (£24.99) — a citrus-flavoured CBD oil enriched with stress-busting effects of magnesium, California poppy, and more.
- CBD gummy: Wicked Gummy Co 600mg CBD Gummy (£19.49) — delicious lime-flavoured CBD gummies containing essential vitamins and minerals for your well-being.
Wait, we’re not done yet.
Did you know you could also vape CBD?
Vaping supplies CBD directly to the lungs, allowing it to enter your bloodstream quickly for faster results.
NEVER use regular CBD oil for vaping. Inhaling MCT or any other carrier oil (present in some commercial CBD oil) can cause serious side effects.
|Read More: Like CBD oil drops, you could also use a CBD spray. Here are our recommendations for the Best CBD Sprays you can try.|
2. How Much CBD Should You Take for ADHD?
There’s no one-size-fits-all CBD dosage.
Everyone experiences ADHD differently and will need a dose based on their symptoms and body chemistry.
- Start with a low amount (20-30 mg/day) and increase it gradually.
- Use our free CBD Dosage Calculator to calculate your CBD requirements easily.
|Important: Consult a healthcare practitioner before using CBD products.
For all you know, a CBD product may interact with your other supplements or prescription medication and lead to unwanted side effects.
Other crucial questions on CBD for ADHD include:
1. What Precautions Do You Need to Take When Using CBD for ADHD?
Follow these important precautions:
- CBD is metabolised in the liver and may interact with other medications for ADHD treatment. Always consult your doctor before taking CBD as a treatment option — especially if you’re on other ADHD medication.
- Young adults are especially vulnerable to substance abuse, so parents or families should be extra cautious when giving them CBD.
- Pregnant and nursing ADHD patients should avoid using CBD.
- Edible CBD can take longer to show effects, so Attention Deficit Disorder patients can become impulsive and take more than the required dosage.
- Stimulant medication is expensive, and insurance companies usually don’t cover CBD as a treatment option.
- CBD product labelling is largely inaccurate, especially with cheaper/inferior products. They may not clarify if the product contains THC or not.
(Psst… GreenBox’s CBD products pass stringent quality, safety, and purity checks. We ensure every CBD product is THC-free and has accurate product labels.)
While CBD use is generally safe, it can have potential side effects if you consume more than 100mg daily.
Some common side effects include:
- Change in appetite and weight
- Fatigue and drowsiness
- Upset stomach
3. Is CBD Safe for Children with ADHD?
- No studies have proven CBD use helps children or adolescents with ADHD.
- A child with Attention Deficit Disorder who uses a cannabis product (before the age of 16 years) may be at a higher risk of cognitive function impairment and substance abuse.
So what can you do to help a child with ADHD?
The UK’s National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) recommends atomoxetine, dexamfetamine, and methylphenidate to manage ADHD in children and young people.
It also suggests several non medication treatment options for pediatrics, such as:
- Parental training
- Promoting physical activity
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
- Lifestyle adjustments
- Neurofeedback therapy
Such interventions promote better mental health, especially in young ADHD sufferers.
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder is the most common co-occurring disorder in children and young adults with epilepsy.
Epidiolex is the only prescription medication approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat epilepsy in a child or an adult.
4. How is CBD Different from Medical Marijuana?
Medical marijuana or medical cannabis is a prescription drug derived from the cannabis plant.
It’s usually THC-dominant, which can cause a psychoactive high at high doses.
On the other hand:
CBD is a cannabinoid (chemical compound) extracted from the cannabis plant. It has certain psychoactive effects but does NOT get you high.
P.S. A legal CBD product will have 0.0% THC in the UK.
|Side Note: Unlike medical marijuana use, CBD isn’t a prescription drug in the UK. You can legally buy and sell CBD in the UK without a prescription or licence.|
Try CBD to Ease Your ADHD Struggle
Research into CBD’s role in ADHD treatment and its common comorbidities is limited.
But don’t lose heart yet.
CBD can reduce ADHD symptoms, like anxiety disorders, and improve overall health conditions.
Ready to try CBD products to ease your ADHD struggle?
Browse through our impressive range of lip-smacking CBD gummies, the best CBD oils on the market, and convenient CBD capsules to keep your ADHD symptoms in check.