Increasing literature suggests that CBD oil products can be useful for cats — to treat anxiety, inflammation, poor appetite, and other conditions.
Read on to find out.
Also Check Out:
This Article Contains:
(click on a link to jump to that section)
- CBD Oil for Cats UK: What are the Rules?
- 5 Natural CBD Oils That May Be Safe for Cats
CBD (cannabidiol) is a cannabinoid in the hemp plant (Cannabis sativa).
Like humans, animals also have an Endocannabinoid System (ECS). It regulates their nervous system, immune system, appetite, etc., to maintain homeostasis (healthy balance).
Since the ECS consists of various cannabinoid receptors, CBD oil can have far-reaching benefits for your cat.
So as a pet owner, it may be tempting to buy those delicious CBD treats for your cat.
But are they legal in the UK?
Let’s break it down for you:
A. What the Law Says
A veterinary product containing CBD is considered a veterinary medicine under the Veterinary Medicines Regulations (VMR) established by the Veterinary Medicines Directorate (VMD).
The products require a marketing authorisation before being supplied or sold in the United Kingdom.
Currently, there are no CBD products with UK veterinary marketing authorisation.
That’s because while the safe amount of CBD for human consumption has been assessed and calculated, the safe dosage for various animals has not yet been clearly established.
The legal implications?
Pet owners using unauthorised CBD products for a pet without a veterinary prescription is an offence under Regulation 8 of the VMR.
|Read More: Learn How Much CBD You Should Take and the 6 factors that influence the dose.|
B. What the Law Permits
The Veterinary Medicines Prescribing Cascade has made provisions where your vet can prescribe a legally obtained human CBD product.
How does that work?
If the vet thinks that a human CBD oil or CBD oil tincture would be an effective treatment for your cat, they can:
- Recommend a legal product and CBD type (CBD isolate or broad spectrum CBD).
- Tell you the recommended dosage based on your cat’s size, condition, etc.
- Highlight special precautions you must take while using CBD oil, especially with another prescription medication.
- Explain the potential side effects and what to do in those situations.
Important Note: Ensure that the CBD oil you use for your cat is free of THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) as it can be toxic to animals. Steer clear of full spectrum CBD oils since they contain THC.
Now, let’s look at some CBD oils that may be safe for your fur babies.
CBD oil products come with a dropper, so you can easily measure the required dose and add it to your cat’s food.
Here are our top five picks for CBD oils for cats in the UK:
Check out this vegan hemp oil product containing broad spectrum CBD extract (free of THC).
A magic potion to help your kitty reach zen mode!
- Branding: Infinity CBD emphasises creating natural products using the best CBD and ingredients.
- CBD concentration: 500mg in 10 ml
- Ingredients: Cannabis sativa extract, Olea europaea fruit oil (olive oil)
- Value (per 5mg dose): £0.30 — a fairly priced CBD oil for top-notch CBD.
Get the double benefits of pure CBD extract (0.0% THC) and MCT oil in this Vitality CBD natural CBD drops.
These drops are slightly higher strength, which is perfect for our larger feline friends.
- Branding: A reputed brand, Vitality CBD offers some of the best CBD products in the UK. They also provide clear dosing instructions and an extensive knowledge base for a great CBD experience.
- CBD concentration: 1200mg in 30 ml
- Ingredients: CBD, raw organic hemp seed oil
- Value (per 5mg dose): £0.08 — an extremely good value option per dose.
|Read More: Discover 7 other Amazing Benefits of Vitality CBD products!|
Concerned about not being able to measure the CBD dose accurately?
This bottle comes with a graduated pipette for easy dosing.
Moreover, the product contains broad spectrum CBD, meaning it’s completely free of THC.
Accurate dosing + safe oil = happy cat!
- Branding: Love Hemp uses organic CBD grown under the strictest standards. Its products are 100% free from THC and other harmful chemicals.
- CBD concentration: 1200mg in 30 ml
- Ingredients: CBD hemp extract, coconut oil, natural organic flavourings
- Value (per 5mg dose): £0.20 — A good value option for a premium quality and established CBD brand. You can’t go wrong here.
All three products mentioned above are primarily human-use CBD oils.
They may be safe for your pets since they don’t contain harmful chemicals and cannabinoids like THC.
However, some CBD manufacturers market their CBD oil as pet CBD products. They also add pet-friendly flavours like salmon for your cat, chicken for a dog, etc.
Here are two such products.
This pet CBD oil for cats comes in an irresistible salmon flavour — your kitty will never say no!
It contains broad spectrum organic cannabis extract, free of terpenes and THC.
- Branding: Sourcing their CBD from Switzerland, the company aims to preserve the delicate CBD extracts — free of chemical residues.
- CBD concentration: 300mg in 10 ml
- Ingredients: Broad spectrum organic cannabis extract, salmon oil for flavour
- Value (per 5mg dose): £0.47 — a considerably highly-priced non-vegan CBD oil, but the tasty salmon flavour may be worth it.
Another salmon-flavoured goodness, this cat CBD oil is free of pesticides, additives, and THC.
It only contains high-quality CBD extract — a win-win for you and your pet!
- Branding: The brand offers complete transparency about the ingredients in their CBD products. They rely on world-class labs for testing their products to maintain the highest quality.
- CBD concentration: 500mg in 30 ml
- Ingredients: MCT oil, hemp derived CBD, salmon flavour
- Value (per 5mg dose): £0.40 — another CBD oil for cats with a higher price point, but it has the best reviews.
Unfortunately, these products are slightly more costly than CBD oils for humans.
More importantly, they aren’t approved in the UK for dogs and cats (or any other pet).
That’s why, as a cat owner, it’s best to do your research and consult your vet to avoid falling for any unauthorised products.
Ultimately, you only want the best CBD oil for your feline friends, right?
|Read More: Check out these 10 Fantastic CBD Oils that you can try for yourself.|
Grab the Purr-fect CBD Oil for your Furry Pals!
Infinity CBD, Vitality CBD, and Love Hemp are some of the UK’s leading CBD brands that manufacture pure CBD oil for human consumption.
They are also free from THC, pesticides, and heavy metals. So rest assured that they’ll be safe for your pet (ask your vet!).
Shop for the safest CBD oils, and watch your cat bounce back to health in no time!