CBD (cannabidiol) is derived from Cannabis sativa (hemp plants).
It’s proven to soothe nerves and help you relax — especially if you suffer from anxiety disorders.
So you might be wondering:
CBD oil can exert antidepressant like effects.
Let’s understand the science behind it…
Also Check Out
- Can You Use CBD Oil for Depression?
- CBD Oil as an Antidepressant: What the Studies Say
- 3 Best CBD Oil Supplements to Reclaim Your Peace of Mind
- 4 FAQs About CBD Oil for Depression
CBD oil could help manage depression by tackling the problem at the source — the symptoms associated with depression.
What are these depressive symptoms?
Anxiety and stress, insomnia, and even chronic pain are some of them.
|Side Note: Pure CBD doesn’t have the same psychoactive effect as THC (tetrahydrocannabinol). Read more about CBD vs THC in our detailed article.|
Anxiety disorder as a depression symptom can wear you down.
How does CBD help with anxiety?
CBD can alleviate anxiety symptoms by lowering your blood pressure and heart rate.
The calming effects of CBD oil can help with social anxiety disorder and other stress-related and mood disorders.
A low serotonin level is commonly linked to insomnia and depression.
CBD treatment doesn’t boost your serotonin level.
So how does it help with insomnia?
CBD seems to positively affect how the brain and serotonin receptor neurons respond to the serotonin levels in your system.
This positive reaction at the serotonin receptor level helps you fall asleep better.
And how does sleep help with depression?
A good night’s sleep is one of the easiest and most important ways to improve your mood and mental wellness.
3. Chronic pain
According to studies, chronic pain relief goes a long way toward improving your mental health.
What is CBD’s role in pain relief?
CBD interacts with your body’s endocannabinoid system — which regulates pain, appetite, mood, etc.
It influences the neurotransmitters in the endocannabinoid system, resulting in pain relief.
We know what you’re thinking…
If CBD oil can ease depressive symptoms, can I use it as an antidepressant?
Nope — or at least not yet!
Research on using CBD oil as an antidepressant is still in its infancy.
In recent years, many clinical trials have explored CBD for depression (both in humans and animals):
- A 2021 observational study of a Canadian Cannabis clinic found that CBD-rich treatments benefit patients who experience pain, anxiety, or depression.
- A Neuropsychopharmacology study found CBD to reduce anxiety in generalized anxiety patients.
- A Royal College of General Practitioners study observed that 70% of the follow-up patients reported good to excellent benefits from using CBD for pain treatment.
- Some animal studies concluded CBD induces effects similar to antidepressants in mice.
The World Health Organization and the US Food & Drug Administration (FDA) have NOT approved the use of CBD to treat depression.
|Important: If you want to attempt CBD treatment for any ailment, consult with registered healthcare professionals before trying any CBD products — especially if you’re on prescription medication.|
Still want to try CBD oil for mental well-being?
Try our favourite CBD oil products to calm your nerves:
Looking for a medium-strength CBD oil product?
Try one of the best CBD oil supplements in the UK!
This spiced citrus-flavoured broad-spectrum CBD oil is infused with the relaxing effects of Californian poppy, 5-HTP and magnesium. Perfect for unwinding after a stressful day.
This CBD product comes with a dropper and a spray for your convenience!
Alternatively, try the Vitality CBD Relax Drops (£24.99) — an excellent CBD product that promotes rest, relaxation, and recovery.
Here’s a vegan and THC-free broad-spectrum CBD oil from Love Hemp.
Why do we love it?
- This high-quality natural CBD oil is extracted from organically grown cannabis plants.
- It comes with a refreshing peppermint taste (read: an instant burst of freshness).
- It can provide anti-stress effects.
Prefer a more potent CBD product?
Try these Provacan capsules!
It’s one of the highest-strength products in the UK — taking one CBD capsule matches the FSA’s recommended daily dose of 70mg.
Plus, it contains 0% THC — so you won’t experience THC-like psychoactive effects.
Interested in more CBD products?
Some other brands include:
- Blessed CBD: The 1000mg CBD Oil Drops (£69.95) from Blessed CBD is a broad-spectrum CBD product that may help you relax.
- FAB CBD: The FAB CBD full-spectrum CBD oil is available in Citrus, Mint, Vanilla, and Berry flavours, and the strength ranges from 300mg to 2400mg.
- Exhale Wellness: The vegan CBD Gummies from Exhale Wellness are a high-potency full-spectrum CBD product available in 750 and 1500mg variants.
- Royal CBD: The Royal CBD Sleep Capsules are a convenient way to enjoy the benefits of cannabinoids, terpenes, and melatonin.
(Psst… some of these products are full-spectrum CBD oils — which is illegal in the UK!)
|Read More: Want to know your ideal CBD oil dosage? Use our free CBD dosage calculator.|
Some common questions about CBD oil for depression include:
1. How does CBD compare to antidepressants?
Remember: CBD is NOT an antidepressant.
But it can produce a similar antidepressant effect on your mood and mental health.
Pure CBD (THC-free products) can be an effective treatment for:
- Social anxiety disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Panic disorder and other mental health conditions.
The potential benefits of cannabis oils are that they’re much faster-acting, non-addictive, and more convenient than an antidepressant.
On the flip side:
When you start on conventional antidepressants, it usually takes 1–2 weeks before you start seeing results.
However, antidepressant medication can cause sexual dysfunction, dizziness, and even symptoms of depression (read: side-effects).
2. How long does it take for CBD to work?
It can take anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours.
But the exact duration depends on how you take the CBD oil product, the type of CBD, your body chemistry, etc.
|Read More: Here’s a comprehensive guide on how long it takes for CBD to work for a more in-depth explanation.|
3. What are the side effects of CBD?
Taking cannabis in extremely high doses (above 100mg per day) may cause dizziness, fatigue, dry mouth, or gastrointestinal discomfort.
But don’t panic!
With normal usage (below 100 mg per day), you’re unlikely to experience any side effects.
4. Is CBD legal?
Yes, CBD is legal in the UK and most other countries.
But there’s a catch:
Finished CBD products should have 0.0% THC in the UK.
So avoid full-spectrum CBD products which contain THC.
|Important: Medical cannabis or medical marijuana is legal in the UK. It’s a cannabis-based medicine used to treat severe health conditions like epilepsy.
However, it’s not available to the public and can only be prescribed by a doctor.
Try CBD Oil to Boost Your Mental Health
Alleviating depressive symptoms goes a long way to helping with depression, and CBD is a versatile substance that can help.
It can improve your mood and assist with social anxiety (and other depressive symptoms) — with none of the typical antidepressant side effects.
Want to try CBD oil products for your mental health?
Head to GreenBox to discover a range of exciting, high-quality CBD oils, balms, CBD gummies, and more!